15 - Old Spey Bridge
Dated 1754. 3 span mixed pinned rubble granite of ascending height from N to S banks, with tooled mixed granite arch rings of increasing height and span in same direction. Canted buttresses rise from triangular cutwaters and terminate as refuges; tooled ashlar parapet; shallow end buttresses; splayed approaches. Metal repair stays. Approximate spans; 25' - 45' - 80'. Datestone at S side of bridge inscribed "AD1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended". Part of the military road from Corgarff (Braemar) to Fort George. Now by-passed and closed to vehicular traffic. Smallest (flood) arch repaired after great flood of 1829.
Canon EOS REBEL T2i, f/11 @ 18 mm, 1/500, ISO 800, No Flash
© Jennifer Leone